Brook End. Map

      Isaac Wagstaff (3rd-great-grandfather, 1787) married Mary Bathsheba Gillions here in 1808 (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Film 543870). Brook End doesn't have a Church. They must have lived in Brook End but married in Northill.

Brook End House   House built in 1798 in Brook End.

      Brook End is a hamlet that is difficult to find and consists of just a few buildings.

Ickwell. Map

      As far as we know, we don't have any ancestors who lived in Ickwell.

  House in Ickwell.

  House in Ickwell.

  House in Ickwell.

  House where Thomas Tompion was born.

  Ickwell Bury was built in 1683.

      Ickwell is a picturesque old village in Northill parish built around a large green. It is particularly interesting because there are a large number of thatched-roof cottages that are very old. East of the green is the cottage where Thomas Tompion, the father of English clock making, was born. Ickwell Bury, off the west side of the green, was built in 1683. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England, Bedfordshire, Page 242).

Northill. Map

      Many ancestors of Isaac Wagstaff (3rd-great-grandfather, 1787) and his wife, Mary Bathsheba Gillions (3rd-great-grandmother, 1788), lived here. Isaac's parents, John Wagstaff (4th-great-grandfather, 1760) and Elizabeth Larkins (4th-great-grandmother, 1751), were buried here in 1835 and 1803 respectively. Mary's father, William Gillions (4th-great-grandfather, 1750), was born here. Other ancestors who lived in Northill are Jane Braybrook, Thomas Gillions, John Gillions, Mary Lancaster, Margaret Ward, and Jane Walker. Although many ancestors have births, marriages, or deaths recorded in Northill, it's possible that the genealogical researchers who did the research didn't properly differentiate between Northill Parish and the village of Northill. Northill Parish includes Northill and several other villages and hamlets.

  St. Mary Church was first built in the 14th century.

  The Grange was first built in 1690.

  The Greene King Pub was first built in 1799.

  House in Northill.

      Northill is a village and large parish receiving water from a tributary of the Ivel River. The crops are wheat, oats, barley, beans, peas, and market gardening produce. The St. Mary Church in the village of Northill is from the 14th Century. The Church is noted for the clock built by Tompion, the father of English clock making, and a 17th century glass window. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England, Bedfordshire, Page 242, Mid Bedfordshire Scenic Route).

Upper Caldecote. Map

  Samuel and Lucy Wagstaff.

  Ruth Wagstaff was born in Upper Caldecote.

  Samuel Wagstaff.

      Ruth Wagstaff (great-grandmother, 1847) was born here. She was christened at the Northill St. Mary's Church. Her father, Samuel Wagstaff (2nd-great-father, 1820) and grandfather, Isaac Wagstaff (3rd-great-grandfather, 1787) were also born here. Isaac Wagstaff was buried here in 1844. Samuel Wagstaff married Mariah Lucy Webb here in 1840 on Christmas Day.

  Rose and Crown Public House in Upper Caldecote. This building was torn down on 30 November 2003 (Alan Wakeford).

      Upper Caldecote is a small village on the River Cam. All Saints Church in Upper Caldecote was consecrated in 1868. There are several old farmhouses in Caldecote including Manor Farm (probably 16th century), Lily Farm (mostly 17th century), and Clare Farm (1808 over the door) (The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Bedfordshire, Page 242).

  Picture of a cottage that may have been the home of Samuel Wagstaff.

  Cottage near church which could be the same one.

      We have a picture of a thatched-roof cottage in Upper Caldecote that is suppose to be the home of Samuel Wagstaff. However, we obtained a copy of this same picture (different cropping only) with handwriting on the back stating it was the home where William Wagstaff (1848) was born. This William Wagstaff is the son of John Wagstaff (1816), an older brother of Samuel. It also indicated the house had been occupied by the family for over two-hundred years (Barton). A grandfather common to both William and Samuel Wagstaff, John Wagstaff was born in Potton and married in Eyeworth. It is therefore unlikely that this home had been in the family for anywhere near two hundred years.

      Previously, we stated, "We haven't made a trip back to Upper Caldecote since obtaining the picture from Barton. However, it is possible that this cottage still exists. Across from the Church is a row of council houses. A cottage that may be this one is a little east of the council houses on the same side of the street." According to Alan Wakeford, a researcher of Northill Parish, this house was formerly a barn that was part of Atterton's Farm. The building was converted to a house about 1999 and was not a thatched roof cottage. According to Mr. Wakeford, there isn't a building in Upper Caldecote that matches the picture of the purported Wagstaff home.

Home - Ancestors - Emigration - History - Places